How do I decide on a college?
Start with prayer! “Many are the purposes of a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.” (Pro. 19:21)
The following worksheet is a great next step. It will help you to compare colleges that interest you. List your top three picks (high, low and mid-range prospects). Plot out the figures and make plans to visit campuses.
Most colleges welcome overnight visits where you can be a college student for a weekend. You’ll experience classes, the cafeteria, students, games and the culture around that college. These weekends are tons of fun! They not only help you to narrow down your college decision, but also help ease any anxieties you have and see how exciting college will be. Daytime visits, touring the campus, and virtual tours are all highly encouraged by public and private universities. If you can’t visit in person, go to the college/university website and scope out every link that gives you insight into campus life.
Research Colleges/Universities/Trade & Vocational Schools and the funding to make it happen!
Use the web information below as a starting point in gathering information about colleges and financial aid. It is always good to contact the Admissions Offices of colleges/ universities/ vocational & trade schools to obtain the most relevant and applicable information. The process of doing research about post- high school education and careers can seem overwhelming. Start early and be diligent! Make personal contact with colleges and universities. We can assure you that any effort you put forth will reap rewards.
The links listed here are for your initial study and research purposes. Please note that some links may contain material or information not representative of the philosophy and perspective held by Rainier Christian High School. Use discretion.
- AP/SAT/PSAT, college planning, financial aid info, majors and career exploration
- Scholarship search for Washington state high school students
- US News Report
- US News Report on College Funding Tips
- CollegeWeek Live
- Great online resource: Meet Universities. Get Free Advice. Find Scholarships.
- The Common Application
- One Application – Hundreds of Colleges
- College search, Christian athlete programs
- Educational Testing Service for on-line help with SATs
- The Princeton Review
- Test prep services, tutoring and admissions resources
- National Center for Education Statistics
- College Navigator: nationwide college profiles, including costs, programs, stats; college match tools; financial aid facts
- Community and Technical Colleges in Washington State – explore careers, find a college & program
- College Express
- Carnegie Communications’ site for college & scholarship searches, lists and rankings, and a host of other helpful info and tools
- First Generation Student
- Are you the first in your family to pursue a college degree? Great resources available here!
- College prep and planning for college and grad school, international students; timelines, admissions and essay resources
Corban University is hosting the Corban Experience on Feb 9-10, 2015 for current Juniors and Seniors. Register online at EXPERIENCE.CORBAN.EDU. Contact your College and/or University of choice to find out when they host a day or weekend visit. Excused Absence/Extra Credit for college campus visits – check with Mrs. Rosin for details.